I was very annoyed, that the WordPress automatic update kept failing on my setup. I kept receiving either the error “Unable to locate WordPress Root directory.” (when trying to upgrade the entire WordPress installation) or “Unable to locate WordPress Content directory (wp-content).” (when trying to upgrade individual plugins). The fix however was quite strange and probably only apply to very few installations.
I’ve been using tweens a lot recently – for example while developing the small campaign site for the new Peugeot 206+ and Peugeot Blue Drive campaign (in Danish). I used GTween and GTweenTimeline to a great extent to really make it easy for me to implement and update.
After having worked at Shockwaved, TBWA\PLAY and TBWA\Denmark through 7 years (same company, different name), I finally grew the nuts to find a new job. Actually the new job found me, as it was a bunch of former colleagues at Konstellation, who had started up 2-3 years ago and now have grown into an interesting company. I started here May 1st, 2009. They even blogged me (in Danish).
Today we launched a new website for one of the major Danish mortgage provider, Totalkredit. They are known by all Danes due to their tv-ads (produced by TBWA\Copenhagen), that everyone either hates or loves. This is a very big client, and thus they require a very big website. But as they are for the people and tries to communicate directly with the common man, the website need not be corporate, but must be rich with content, easy to use and with many features that will create returning visitors.
Other features of the site, that makes this a very satisfying job to have completed:
- It is of course search engine optimized (Hijax preserves this)
- The URL is modified on every major page change using fragments in order to allow deep-linking and bookmarking (this is partly self-developed, partly borrowed from SWFAddress)
- And given the above, that “back” and “forward” buttons of the browser works (unlike many other full-Ajax websites)
- The site includes Google Maps (you can’t go wrong with that!)
- The site is tested and optimized for Internet Explorer 6 and 7 as well as Firefox 2 (and friends).
Enough talking, here is the site: http://www.totalkredit.dk – “unfortunately” most of the site is in Danish except for a small investor-part.
Google Maps Street View is pretty amazing. The detail, the 360 view, the small increments between images. Just see these poor guys driving down Park Drive N. Google is quite amazing. This new street view has mapped 5 cities in the US.
And the full burito is only Â£249 if you’re fast. See you there?
It took me quite a while, but I finally managed.
On IRC, the Danish Wikipedia channel on freenode, we have a bot running (built on Linky again built on PircBot). This bot’s primary purpose is to extend socalled wikilinks. That is, when someone writes
Someone wrote silly stuff in the [[USA]] article again the bot replies
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA – it expands the bracket-style links to proper URL’s.
The problem was the character encodings. Some use UTF-8 in this channel and others use ISO 8859-1. And how can you make the bot expand links for the Danish term
[[KÃ¸dpÃ¥lÃ¦g]] when written in either of the two encodings? The correct URL for this word is
K%C3%B8dp%C3%A5l%C3%A6g The built-in UTF-8-decoder in Java will replace the “bad characters” with the Unicode replacement character U+FFFD, and thus the previous term written sent by a ISO 8859-1 client with Linky in UTF-8 mode would become
K%EF%BF%BDdp%EF%BF%BDl%EF%BF%BDg, and in the reverse situation with Linky in ISO 8859-1 mode, the UTF-8 clients messages would be interpreted to
K%C3%83%C2%B8dp%C3%83%C2%A5l%C3%83%C2%A6g. Both are very wrong.
We are always hiring bright minds and now more than ever. Thus I wanted to post this plea from my CEO:
I got many interesting contacts, talked to many interesting people and in particular told Branden Hall, that his ancient Flash 5 add-ons (including string.as) is still in use in some of our old Flash 5 projects still being updated.
Continue reading »